Anu Malik is an Indian music composer and singer who primarily sings and composes music for Bollywood movies. He is popularly known to the mega music composers of the 90s.
Anu Malik was born as ‘Anwar Sardar Malik’ on 2 November 1960 (age 58 years; as in 2019) in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Scorpio.
Weight: 85 kg
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Anu Malik is the son of veteran music composer, Sardar Malik and his wife, Kausar Jahan Malik.
He has two brothers named Daboo Malik (music director, composer, singer, and actor) and Abu Malik (film score composer). Anu Malik married Anju Malik, and the couple has two daughters named Ada Malik and Anmol Malik (singer).
Aadar Malik and Kasheesh Malik are the children of Abu Malik.
Anu Malik made his debut as a music composer with the movie “Hunterwali 77” in 1980.
He has created several commercially successful songs for the movies. He is known for the use of Tabla in his compositions. He finally got success after 16 years when he composed the music for the film, “Baazigar (1993).”
Apart from that, he has composed music from several movies like “Baazigar,” “Main Khiladi Tu Anari (1994),” “Ishq (1997),”Baadshah (1999),” “Josh (2000),” “Har Dil Jo Pyaar Karega (2000),” and “Fiza (2000).”
- There was a verbal dispute between singer Mika Singh and him on the sets of a reality show, where Mika came to promote his film “Loot.”
- He has been accused of plagiarising music for the movies like Murder, Akele Hum Akele Tum, Deewane Hue Pagal, Hmeshaa, Baazigar, Imtehaan, etc.
- In the 1990s, Singer Alisha Chinai alleged Anu Malik of sexually harassing her.
- During the #MeToo Movement in 2019, Anu Malik was accused of sexually harassing singers like Sona Mohapatra, Shweta Pandit, and Caralisa Monteiro. Sona Mohapatra termed him as ‘serial predator.’ Alisha Chenai also extended her support towards the singers and said, “Every word said and written about Anu Malik is true. I stand by all women who have finally spoken up. May they find peace and closure in their lives. Although, Malik denied all the allegations but had to leave the reality show, ‘Indian Idol’ as a backlash from the public.
- National Award for the Best Music Direction for the film “Refugee” in 2001.
- Best Music Director for the film “Baazigar” in 1994
- Special Award for the film “Refugee” in 2001
- Best Music Director for the film “Main Hoon Na” in 2005
- Musicians: Whitney Houston, The Backstreet Boys
- He received his training in music from his father, Sardar Malik.
- Hasrat Jaipuri, a renowned lyricist, and poet was his maternal uncle.
- He made Ghulam Ali’s song in the film “Awaargi (1990), but R. D. Burman recorded the song.
- His composition “Chamma Chamma” was used in the 2001 Hollywood film “Moulin Rouge!.”
- Reportedly, the reason for him quitting Indian Idol in 2010 was singer Sunidhi Chauhan being paid 7.5 Lakh per episode as compared to him being paid with 5 Lakh only.
- He composed the pending music of R. D Burman after his death in films like Gang (2000), and Ghatak (1996).
- Reportedly, he can compose flat songs in just 20 minutes.
- He has composed music for more than 350 films.