Harshdeep Kaur is an Indian singer known for her Bollywood, Punjabi and Sufi songs. She became an overnight singing sensation in 2008 after she won the singing competition Junoon – Kuchh Kar Dikhaane Ka on NDTV Imagine. Let’s dig out some of the interesting facts about Harshdeep Kaur, her journey as a singer and much more.
The Saggitarian singer was born on 16 December 1986 (age 32; as in 2018) in Delhi, India. She hails from a family with a musical background; as her father used to make musical instruments and was a fine guitarist. When she was 4 years old, her father first discovered her singing talent when he saw her humming while watching a movie song. She started singing at the age of 5 and grew into a passion for Punjabi and Sufi music.
At the age of 6, she started attending Indian classical music classes from Tejpal Singh, and Western music classes from George Pullinkala.
When she reached 12, she became a part of the Delhi School Of Music, where she learned to play the piano. When she was 16 years old and still in school, she contested in MTV Video Gaga Contest, where she was adjudged the winner out of 10,000 contestants.
Her singing talent was first noticed by the music lovers when she sang the devotional song “Ik Onkar” from the film Rang De Basanti (2006).
Age the age of 21, she took part in the singing competition Junoon – Kuchh Kar Dikhaane Ka on NDTV Imagine in September 2008, where she competed from the Sufi Ki Sultan genre with Ustad Rahat Fateh Ali Khan. She was crowned the winner of the competition, where Amitabh Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan were guests at the grand finale. Winning the singing competition opened Bollywood’s doors for her.
Harshdeep Kaur is around 5′ 4″ tall and weighs around 60 kg.
Family & Husband
Harshdeep Kaur hails from a middle-class Sikh family with a musical background. Her father, Savinder Singh, owns a factory of musical instruments, whereas, her mother is a homemaker. She has a sister named Simran Kaur Bal.
On 20 March 2015, she got married to her childhood friend Mankeet Singh in Mumbai.
Her husband works for the IT company – Tata Consultancy Services (TCS).
Aspiring to become a musician since childhood, she began her music activities while doing her schooling from New Era Public School and Springdales School in Delhi. She did her graduation from SNDT University in Mumbai. During her teenage, she sang her debut album Romantica (2002), and a year later, she made her Bollywood debut with the song “Sajna Main Haari” from the film Aapko Pehle Bhi Kahin Dekha Hai (2003).
The year 2008 proved to be a milestone year for her; as she went on to win the reality show Junoon – Kuchh Kar Dikhaane Ka on NDTV Imagine; as she started getting a lot more opportunities after it. Over the years, she has made her mark in Bollywood with her songs like “Katiya Karoon” from Rockstar (2011), “Heer” from Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012), “Dilbaro” from Raazi (2018), “Chonch Ladiyan” from Manmarziyaan (2018).
Awards & Recognitions
- Won the MTV Video GaGa Contest in 2001.
- Won the musical reality show Junoon – Kuchh Kar Dikhaane Ka on NDTV Imagine in 2008.
- Won the musical reality show Aao Jhoomein Gaayein on SAB TV.
- Won the musical reality show SAREGAMA Punjabi on Alpha TV.
- Won the Mirchi Music Award and PTC Film Award for the Best Playback Singer for “Lori” from the film Punjab (1984).
- Won the Mirchi Top 20 Gold Disc Award for “Zaalima” from the film Raees (2017).
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Abida Parveen, Jagjit Singh and Reshma are her all times favourites. And, among the contemporary singers, she like Arijit Singh, Ash King, Sunidhi Chauhan, Richa Sharma and Neeti Mohan.
- She admires the music works of A. R. Rahman and Mithoon Sharma.
- She always wears a turban while performing for spiritual reasons, which later became her style statement.
- People often compare her voice and singing style with the Pakistani singer Reshma who sang “Lambi Judaai” in the film Hero (1983).
- She is an avid animal lover.
- Whenever she gets time, she loves to travel.
— HT Entertainment (@htshowbiz) November 13, 2018