Kokilaben Ambani was the wife of Dhirubhai Ambani, an Indian business tycoon and founder of the Reliance Industries. So who is Kolilaben, how her inclusion in Dhirubhai’s life changed his fortunes? Let’s find out some interesting facts about her, her relationship with Dhirubhai and the net worth of this power couple.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani was born as Kokilaben Patel on 24 February 1934 (aged 84; as in 2018) in Nawanagar State, British India (now in Jamnagar, Gujarat, India). She was born into a conservative yet supportive Gujarati family. She was born and raised in an era when an Indian woman still had restrictions and could not study. However, her family, especially her father, knew the importance of education in one’s life and never restricted Kokilaben and her siblings from receiving education for the sole purpose of intellectual growth and self-improvement. She did her matriculation (10th standard) from Sajuba Girls’ High School in Jamnagar. At the age of 21, she got married to a businessman, Dhirubhai Ambani and moved to Mumbai.
During the initial phase of their married life, Dhirubhai used to travel alone to Aden in Yemen for working purpose. After stabilising his career in Aden, he called Kolilaben over there; where she gave birth to their first child, Mukesh Ambani. Later, the couple returned to Mumbai and extended their family with Anil, Deepti and Nina being born.
Family, Husband & Caste
Kokilaben was born to a middle-class Patidar Gujarati family. Her father, Ratilal Jashraj Patel was a Telegraph Office employee, and her mother, Rukshmaniben, was a homemaker. She has 4 siblings – 2 brothers and 2 sisters.
She was married to business tycoon Dhirubhai Ambani in 1932.
The couple was blessed with 2 sons – Mukesh Ambani, Anil Ambani, and 2 daughters – Nina, Dipti.
Her grandsons from Mukesh Ambani’s side include – Akash Ambani, Anant Ambani, Isha Ambani.
And, from Anil Ambani’s side include- Jai Anshul Ambani, Jai Anmol Ambani.
- When she first came to Mumbai with Dhirubhai, the couple initially used to stay at a 2-BHK chawl near Babulnath Temple in Chowpatty.
- Dhirubhai hired an English teacher for her; as he wanted to groom her For public interactions.
- She is a devotee of Lord Krishna and frequently visits Dwarkadhish Temple in Jamnagar and Shrinathji Temple in Nathdwara.
- She has always been fond of travelling and her favourite holiday spots include Switzerland and London.
- She likes to wear pink sarees.
- She has a car collection of every brand in the world, but she prefers a Mercedes-Benz.
- She loves to eat Chorwad meal of roti, dal, dhokli and aatyu.
- In 2009, she laid the foundation of Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital in Mumbai. The hospital under her name also has branches in Rajkot, Surat, Gondia, Akola and Sholapur.