Ekta Kapoor was born on 7 June 1975 (age 44 years; as in 2019) in Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Gemini.
She attended Mumbai’s Bombay Scottish School and went to Mithibai College to pursue her bachelor’s degree in Commerce. She started her career at the age of 15. In the beginning, she interned with the ad and feature filmmaker, Kailash Surendranath. When she turned 19 years old, she decided to become a producer on her father’s suggestion.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 58 Kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Figure Measurements: 35-28-35
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Ekta is unmarried and she became a single parent to a boy, Ravie, in 2019 through surrogacy.
Ekta started her career as a producer in 2001 with “Kyo Kii… Main Jhuth Nahin Bolta.” She followed it with “Kucch To Hai” and “Krishna Cottage” which were based on supernatural themes. In 2005, she produced the film “Kyaa Kool Hai Hum” which starred her brother, Tusshar Kapoor. Subsequently, she produced films like “Love Sex Aur Dhokha,” “Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai,” “Shor in the City,” and “Half Girlfriend.”
She has also produced more than 130 daily soap operas including “Hum Paanch,” “Kyunki Saar Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi,” “Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki,” “Kasauti Zindagii Kay,” “Kaahin Kissii Roz,” “Kahiin To Hoga,” “Kasamh Se,” “Bade Acche Lagte Hain,” “Jodha Akbar,” “Ye Hai Mohabbatein,” “Kumkum Bhagya,” “Kasam Tere Pyaar Ki,” and “Kundali Bhagya.”
In 2012, she started Institute of Creative Excellence, a media training school through her production house, Balaji Telefilms. She has also launched around 40 web series through her digital app ALTBalaji. Ekta also has a fashion series with EK Label.
- In 2007, Ekta had a feud with Smriti Irani after which, Irani left the serial, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. After looking at the falling TRP of the show, Irani was brought back to the serial in 2008.
- The actor, Pulkit Samrat was not able to shoot for Ekta’s serial “Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi” due to some back injuries and had some pending payment issues with her. Ekta denied clearing his payments after which he filed a court case against her firm, Balaji Telefilms, for non-payment of his dues and also for not allowing him to work on other projects.
- A protest was carried out by Rajput Kshatriya Akhil Bharatiya Chatariya Sabha against Ekta’s TV serial “Jodha Akbar” as they felt wrong facts were presented in the serial.
- Ekta is often criticised for her choice of clothes that she flaunts at various events. She wears clothes that are either uncomfortable or not appreciated by the people.
- She is also criticised for adding a nudity clause to her contract so that actors who agree to work with her do not back out from doing any intimate scene or provocative dialogue in the script.
- Ekta Kapoor also attracted controversy after her feud with Rajeev Khandelwal. Rajeev who shot to fame by playing the role of Sujal in the TV serial “Kahiin Toh Hoga” declared that he does not need Kapoor for his success. The fight became worse when Khandelwal said that he didn’t like Ekta’s TV programming. They were not on talking terms for a long time but slowly patched up.
- After the rumours came out that the film Drishyam is based on the Japanese Novel ‘The Devotion of Suspect X,’ Ekta sent a legal notice to the makers of the film claiming that she owns the copyrights of making a film on that novel. This gave rise to a number of controversies.
- Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Award for Iconic Film and Television Producer (2012)
- IMPACT’s 50 Award for the Most Influential Women in Media, Marketing and Advertising (2016)
- Indian Television Academy Award for the Sterling Icon of Entertainment (2017)
- Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Award for Most Inspiring Icon of the Year (2018)
- Forbes Tycoon of Tomorrow Award for Icon of Excellence (2018)
- Business Today Award for Most Powerful Woman in Indian Business (2019)
- Hindustan Times Business Award for Business Icon of Continent (2019)
- ET Business Award for Content Creator of the Year (2019)
- HT Most Stylish Film Maker of the Year (2019)
- Books: The Last Song of Dusk by Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- TV Serial: Shameless (USA)
- She loves to read books in her leisure time.
- Ekta considers the letter ‘K’ very lucky for her, so the majority of her TV serials begin with K.
- As the managing director of Balaji Telefilms, Ekta has produced around 25 successful TV serials till 2015 and earned Rs. 500 crores from it.
- Ekta wears black platform heels on almost all the events and functions as it is advised by her astrologer.
- She has a phobia of darkness and height.
- Ekta is often referred to as the “Czarina of television” and “the Queen of India Television.”
- During an interview, Vikas Gupta revealed that Ekta is his Rakhi sister and they both share a great bond.
- She shares a great bond with the television actress, Anita Hassanandani, and also suggested her to change her name to Natassha for films.
- Kapoor is very spiritual and has a strong belief in astrology and numerology.
- She considers the number 3, 6, and 9 as her lucky numbers.
- Kapoor is very affectionate towards animals. She has a pet dog Lafro and also has a habit of adopting stray dogs and has many of them.
- She is also very active in philanthropy work and does charities for older women.
- Kapoor likes listening to old songs and ghazals and is a huge fan of Kishore Kumar‘s songs.
- Although Ekta isn’t seen much in the public events, she is considered to be a party animal.
- A 32-year-old man was arrested for stalking Ekta after she filed a complaint against him. It was reported that he followed Ekta more than 30 times.