Kader Khan is a film actor, comedian, director, and a script and dialogue writer. He has featured in over 300 films in Hindi and Urdu languages. Khan is widely known for his roles in movies, ‘Naseeb’, ‘Taqdeerwala’, and ‘Baap Numbri Beta Dus Numbri. Let’s find out some interesting facts about Kader Khan.
Kader Khan was born on 22 October 1937 (aged 81; as in 2018) in Pishin, Baluchistan, British India. When Kader was a year old, his family migrated to Mumbai and started living in the slums. He enrolled in a local municipal school, and later, completed his graduation from Ismail Yusuf College, Mumbai University. He obtained a Master’s Diploma in Engineering (MIE) with specialization in civil engineering from the Institution of Engineers (India). In 1970, Khan joined M.H. Saboo Siddik College of Engineering in Byculla as a civil engineering teacher. While Kader was performing in a play at the Annual Day function of the college, actor Dilip Kumar noticed him and signed him up for his next films, Bairaag and Sagina Mahato.
The brown-eyed actor is around 5’ 8” tall and weighs around 92 kg.
Family, Caste & Wife
Kader Khan belongs to the Kakar tribe of the Pashtun Community and follows Islam. He is the son of Abdul Rehman Khan and Iqbal Begum. Kader had three brothers namely, Shams ur Rehman, Fazal Rehman, and Habib ur Rehman, who died at a very young age. Kader is a Hafiz-e-Quran (a person who has memorized Quran).
He is married to Azra Khan. The couple has three sons.
His eldest son Quddus Khan is settled in Canada and works as a security officer at the airport. His son Sarfaraz Khan is an actor, and has worked in several films like ‘Tere Naam’ and ‘Wanted’. Kader’s younger son Shahnawaz Khan has been an assistant director in the films, ‘Humko Tumse Pyaar Hain’, ‘Vaada’, and ‘Milenge Milenge’. He has also shared a screen with his father in the comedy film, ‘Nawabi Sharabi’.
Kader has a grandson, Hamzaa, who is the son of Sarfaraz.
In 1973, Kader marked his debut in Bollywood with the film, ‘Daag’; he played the role of the prosecuting attorney. He is recognized for playing supporting roles in the films starring Amitabh Bachchan, Feroz Khan, Anil Kapoor, Rajesh Khanna, Jeetendra, and Govinda.
kader has worked with comedians like Shakti Kapoor and Johnny Lever. In 1974, he was paid one lakh twenty-one thousand for writing the dialogues for the film, ‘Roti’. He has also starred in the comedy series titled Hasna Mat; aired on Star Plus.
Apart from acting, Kader has written dialogues for several successful films including ‘Coolie No.1’, ‘Himmatwala’, ‘Kanoon Apna Apna’, ‘Main Khiladi Tu Anari’, ‘Khoon Bhari Maang’, ‘Karma, Sultanat’, ‘Sarfarosh’, and ‘Dharam Veer’. He has written many memorable dialogues for Amitabh Bachchan in films like ‘Mr. Natwarlal’, ‘Do Aur Do Paanch’, ‘Hum’, ‘Satte Pe Satta’, and ‘Agneepath’. He has also written the screenplays for, Agneepath and Naseeb, which were huge hits at the box office.
In the twenty-first century, he has appeared in films, ‘Mujhse Shaadi Karogi’, ‘ Lucky: No Time for Love’, ‘Family: Ties of Blood’, and ‘Tevar’.
In January 2011, Kader made his comeback on Indian television with the comedy series “Hi! Padosi… Kaun Hai Doshi?”; he played the role of ‘Ram Bharose’.
- In 1982, Kader received the Filmfare Award for Best Dialogue for film, ‘Meri Awaaz Suno’.
- In 1991, he won Filmfare Best Comedian Award for Baap Numbri Beta Dus Numbri.
- In 2013, he was awarded, ‘Sahitya Shiromani Award’ for his contributions to the Hindi film industry.
- Kader was also honoured by the AFMI (American Federation of Muslims from India) for his acting and service to the Muslim Community in India.
- Kader’s favourite colour is Grey.
- Kader’s favourite dialogue is “Taqdeer tere kadmon mein hogi…tu muqaddar ka baadshah hoga” from the film, ‘Muqaddar Ka Sikandar’.
- Kader Khan has acted in over 300 films and has written dialogues for around 250 Indian films.
- His son Sarfaraz Khan is always mistaken with another actor named Sarfaraz Khan, who has featured in the movie ‘Ajeeb Dastan Hai Yeh’. Both the actors have exactly the same name.
- Kader Khan has Canadian citizenship.
- Kader used to be a good friend of Amitabh Bachchan. Their friendship dropped when Amitabh joined politics.