Counted among the most beautiful women of all time in Hollywood, Marilyn Monroe is also considered as one of the actresses with the highest level of fame. Also a model and singer, she was most popular for portraying comedic “blonde bombshell” characters as a result of which she became one of the 1950s and early 1960s’ most famous sex symbols. Even though she died at a very young age of 36 in 1962, her footprints are still very much visible in the movie industry. Apart from knowing her onus in acting, the star actress was also known to possess deep intelligence and these Marilyn Monroe quotes below prove this, read and get inspired!
100 Famous Marilyn Monroe Quotes That Still Inspire Us Today
1. A woman can’t be alone. She needs a man. A man and a woman support and strengthen each other. She just can’t do it by herself.
2. First, I’m trying to prove to myself that I’m a person. Then maybe I’ll convince myself that I’m an actress.
3. Fame is fickle, and I know it. It has its compensations but it also has its drawbacks, and I’ve experienced them both.
4. If I play a stupid girl and ask a stupid question, I’ve got to follow it through, what am I supposed to do, look intelligent?
5. I knew I belonged to the public and to the world, not because I was talented or even beautiful, but because I had never belonged to anything or anyone else.
6. Ever notice how ‘What the hell’ is always the right answer?
7. You might as well make yourself fly as to make yourself love.
8. For those who are poor in happiness, each time is a first time; happiness never becomes a habit.
9. For life: it is rather a determination not to be overwhelmed. For work: the truth can only be recalled, never invented.
10. A wise girl knows her limits, a smart girl knows that she has none.”
11. In Hollywood, a girl’s virtue is much less important than her hairdo. You’re judged by how you look, not by what you are. Hollywood’s a place where they’ll pay you a thousand dollars for kiss, and fifty cents for your soul. I know, because I turned down the first offer often enough and held out for the fifty.
12. This life is what you make it. No matter what, you’re going to mess up sometimes, it’s a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you’re going to mess it up.
13. Sometimes I feel my whole life has been one big rejection.
14. It’s far better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone — so far.
15. It’s often just enough to be with someone. I don’t need to touch them. Not even talk. A feeling passes between you both. You’re not alone.”
16. Sex is part of nature. I go along with nature.
17. That’s the way you feel when you’re beaten inside. You don’t feel angry at those who’ve beaten you. You just feel ashamed.
18. Most men judge your importance in their lives by how much you can hurt them.
19. I’m trying to find the nailhead, not just strike the blow.
20. A strong man doesn’t have to be dominant toward a woman. He doesn’t match his strength against a woman weak with love for him. He matches it against the world.
21. I’m very definitely a woman and I enjoy it
22. With fame, you know, you can read about yourself, somebody else’s ideas about you, but what’s important is how you feel about yourself – for survival and living day to day with what comes up.
23. I think that sexuality is only attractive when it’s natural and spontaneous.
24. I don’t know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot!
25. Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
26. How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.
27. Always remember to smile and look up at what you got in life.
28. I don’t forgive people because I’m weak, I forgive them because I am strong enough to know people make mistakes.
29. Men are climbing to the moon, but they don’t seem interested in the beating human heart.
30. When you’re young and healthy you can plan on Monday to commit suicide, and by Wednesday you’re laughing again.
31. Everybody is always tugging at you. They’d all like a sort of chunk out of you. I don’t think they realize it, but it’s like ‘grrr do this, grr do that…’But you do want to stay intact and on two feet.
32. I want to grow old without facelifts… I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I’ve made. Sometimes I think it would be easier to avoid old age, to die young, but then you’d never complete your life, would you? You’d never wholly know you.
33. A man is more frank and sincere with his emotions than a woman. We girls, I’m afraid, have a tendency to hide our feelings.
34. Before marriage, a girl has to make love to a man to hold him. After marriage, she has to hold him to make love to him.
35. In spite of everything, life is not without hope.
36. Keep smiling, because life is a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.
37. Looking back, I guess I used to play-act all the time. For one thing, it meant I could live in a more interesting world than the one around me.
38. Please quote me right!
39. It takes a smart brunette to play a dumb blonde.
40. Dreaming about being an actress, is more exciting then being one.
41. I always felt insecure and in the way, but most of all I felt scared. I guess I wanted love more than anything else in the world.
42. Arthur Miller wouldn’t have married me if I had been nothing but a dumb blonde.
43. My work is the only ground I’ve ever had to stand on. I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation but I’m working on the foundation.
44. If you’re gonna be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.
45. A girl doesn’t need anyone that doesn’t need her.
46. What do I wear in bed? Why, Chanel No. 5, of course.
47. Maybe I’ll never be able to do what I hope to, but at least I have hope.
48. I have always been deeply terrified to really be someone’s wife since I know from life one cannot love another, ever, really.
49. Acting isn’t something you do. Instead of doing it, it occurs. If you’re going to start with logic, you might as well give up. You can have conscious preparation, but you have unconscious results.
50. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.