Dhruv Rathee is an Indian YouTuber, Activist and Mechanical Design Engineer who shares his views on contemporary social, political and environmental related issues of India. Often a faction of society considers him to be an Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) supporter and left-wing who opposes Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and right-wing, but he negates these allegations and claims to be a politically neutral person. Let’s dig out some of the interesting facts about Dhruv Rathee that you’ll read about and enjoy.
The Libran YouTuber was born on 8 October 1994 (age 24; as in 2018) in Haryana, India. Since his teenage, he used actively take part in campaigns like Greenpeace, and Sea Shepard.
In 2014, during his graduation and post graduation, he made a YouTube channel under his name Dhruv Rathee, and initially, posted a few travels and photography videos with his iPhone.
During the Anna Hazare movement of 2011, he started taking a deep interest in politics and shifted his focus from fun videos to serious contemporary political topics. In 2016, he made a video on the Even-Odd Traffic Rule of Delhi. According to him, the idea of making videos on political topics was prompted after he wanted to give a reply to Delhi boy who was part of a propaganda against Arvind Kejriwal and hailing Narendra Modi.
Dhruv Rathee has a lean body, has a height of around 6′ 1″ and weighs around 75 kg.
Since his childhood, he has been a bright student. He did his schooling from a CBSE school in India, and later, went abroad to pursue his Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from Germany. He also did his Masters in Renewable Energy Engineering. He initially worked as a Mechanical Design Engineer, and later, his interest in social awareness and politics made him a successful YouTuber.
- He has been criticised for his anti-government views, for his leanings towards a specific political party, and other social issues.
- On 9 May 2018, a police complaint was filed against him by a software engineer and BJP volunteer named Vikas Pandey in Delhi; as Rathee accused Pandey of circulating the fake news through his Facebook page “I Support Narendra Modi.” In October 2018, Pandey sued Dhruv Rathee for defamation of ₹15 lakhs by a software engineer and BJP volunteer Vikas Pandey; as Rathee posted a video on his YouTube channel that alleged that Vikas Pandey was a member of the BJP IT Cell and had tried to bribe Mahaveer Prasad, an alleged former BJP IT Cell member, for an unethical task.
Friends, I have initiated Civil defamation suite against Mr. @dhruv_rathee. Hon. Court has taken cognisance of my suite. He had made false claims against me in a popular video saying I offered bribes of huge amount to someone without ANY proof. Read:https://t.co/9m7f0n1ujz [1/3]
— Vikas Pandey (@MODIfiedVikas) October 1, 2018
- He is an avid follower of the news channel, NDTV, and journalist, Ravish Kumar. Moreover, he was also invited on Ravish Kumar’s show Prime Time on NDTV.
- His favourite films include Interstellar, The Martian, and Secret Life of Walter Mitty.
- He begins his day with Hindustan Times, Indian Express, and The Hindu.
- He follows blogs such as Logical Indian, Wire.in, and Newslaundry.
- In his free time, he likes watching movies, photography, reading detective books, travelling, and scuba diving.
- He neither smokes nor drinks alcohol.
- He operates a Facebook group called Dhruv Rathee Squad to counter Fake News.
- He also runs a segment called Pee News, a satire kind of a fake news programme.
- He is a Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) certified scuba diver for the advanced level diver (depths of up to 100 feet).
- As of 2018, he has more than 1 million YouTube subscribers.