Anil Kapoor is an Indian actor and producer. He is best-known for his roles in the Bollywood movies like “Mr. India,” “Beta,” and “Tezaab.” Apart from appearing in Bollywood movies, Anil has also worked in a number of Hollywood movies. Let’s delve into details about Anil Kapoor’s personal and professional life.
Anil Kapoor Biography/Wiki
Anil Kapoor was born on 24 December 1956 (aged 62; as in 2018) in Bombay, India. He went to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour High School, Mumbai. After finishing school, he went to St Xavier’s College but was expelled for short attendance. In his college days, he acted in plays and participated in competitions. Anil Kapoor was not born with a silver spoon. He along with his seven family members lived in a single room in the suburb of Chembur in Mumbai; as his father was still struggling in the film industry. His childhood revolved around Bollywood. Since childhood, he knew that he wanted to enter the glamour world. When he was 12 years old, he acted in a movie; which did not release.
Anil Kapoor is approximately 5’ 10” tall and weighs 70 kg. His body measurements are 41″ chest, 33″ waist, and 13″ biceps.
He works hard to stay fit.
Family, Caste & Wife
Anil Kapoor was born in a Punjabi family to renowned film producer, Late Surinder Kapoor, and Nirmal Kapoor.
He is the younger brother of the Indian film producer Boney Kapoor; Sanjay Kapoor, an actor, is his younger brother. He also has a sister, Reena Kapoor.
According to some sources, he had an affair with actress Madhuri Dixit.
The actor was also rumoured to be dating actress Kimi Katkar.
On a talk show with Preity Zinta, Anil Kapoor shared how he fell in love with Sunita Bhambhani’s voice; when they had their first conversation over the phone. He proposed Sunita, a costume designer and former model, after his first successful movie. He tied the knot with Sunita Bhambhani on 19 May 1984. This couple is blessed with three children.
Sonam Kapoor, a Bollywood actress, is his elder daughter.
Bollywood film producer, Rhea Kapoor is his younger daughter whereas his son, the youngest of three, Harshvardhan Kapoor is also an actor by profession.
Arjun Kapoor (Boney Kapoor‘s son), Mohit Marwah (Reena Kapoor’s son), and Jahaan Kapoor (Sanjay Kapoor’s son) are his nephews.
Anshula Kapoor, Jhanvi Kapoor, Khushi Kapoor (Boney Kapoor‘s daughters), and Shanaya Kapoor (Sanjay Kapoor’s daughter) are his nieces.
Anil made his debut in the Hindi film industry in 1979 with a cameo role in “Hamare Tumhare.” It was only after much struggle that Anil Kapoor was able to bag a lead role in the 1983-release “Wo Saat Din.”
It was only, in 1984, after the release of movies like “Mashaal” and “Meri Jung” that Anil became a well-known face in the film fraternity.
“Pukar” was the turning point in his life as he received a total of five FilmFare awards and also a National Film Institute Best Actor award for his role in it. Subsequently, he was one of the biggest names in Indian cinema.
Besides acting, he has also produced “Badhaai Ho Badhaai” (2002) and “Gandhi, My Father.”
Apart from acting in a number of Bollywood movies, Anil Kapoor also appeared in the British movie, “Slumdog Millionaire.” The movie went on to win four Golden Globe awards and received ten Oscar nominations.
In 2010, he appeared in the American television series “24.”
In 2011, he appeared in yet another Hollywood movie “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol.”
Anil Kapoor is also a trained semi-classical singer and has sung songs like “Pyaar Kiya Nahi Jata” from “Woh Saat Din” as well as the title track of “Chameli Ki Shaadi” (1986 ).
Anil released a music album titled “Welcome” in 1986; in which he sang with Salma Agha and the music was composed by Bappi Lahiri.
- According to the Western Railway officials, Anil Kapoor committed an offense under the Railway Act by dangerously grasping the platform of a running train in Mumbai for his TV series “24: Season 2”, on 14 July 2017.
- In 2010, Abhay Deol complained about getting sidelined in the promotions of “Aisha.” To his action, the co-producer, Anil Kapoor, reacted on Karan Johar’s show “Koffee with Karan” by saying -“Abhay Deol needs help in every way.”
- Best Supporting Actor Award for “Mashaal” (1985)
- Best Actor Award for “Tezaab” (1989)
- Best Actor Award “Beta” (1993)
- Critics Award for Best Actor for “Virasat” (1998)
- Best Supporting Actor Award for “Taal” (1999) and “Dil Dhadakne Do” (2016)
- Nata Kalaratna by the Government of Andhra Pradesh (1997)
- Best Actor Award for “Pukar” (2001)
- Awadh Samman by the Government of Uttar Pradesh (2002)
- Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film) for Gandhi, My Father (2008)
- Lifetime Achievement Award for AXN Action Awards (2010)
- Lalitha Kala Samrat title by the Government of Andhra Pradesh (2011)
- Times of India Film Awards for Best Supporting Actor Male in “Dil Dhadakne Do” (2016)
- Zee Cine Best Supporting Actor for “Mubarakan” (2018)
He has a good collection of cars such as Audi RS7, Mercedes ML350, BMW 7-Series 760 Li, and W222 Mercedes Benz S-Class.
With a net worth of approximately $18 Million, Anil gets paid around ₹3-4 Crore per film.
- Anil Kapoor likes to eat Gujarati Thali, Baingan ka Bharta with chappatis and Mooli Parathas, Grilled Chicken, and Grilled Fish.
- His favourite actors are Raj Kapoor and Charlie Chaplin; whereas his favourite actresses are Sridevi, Rekha, and Katrina Kaif.
- He likes listening to the song “Rock On Zindagi Milegi Na Dobara” by Farhan Akhtar from the film “Rock On.”
- Kapoor admires the directors Christopher Nolan, David Fincher, Darren Aronofsky, and Danny Boyle.
- Black, white, and red are his favourite colours.
- Anil Kapoor likes to dine in restaurants at Mayfair, London, and The Bar at Dorchester.
- Cricket is his favourite sports.
- Anil and his family used to live in Raj Kapoor’s garage. However, the family later moved to a chawl. Moreover, Anil also worked in Raj Kapoor’s garage to support his family financially.
- He used to play bare-footed when he was a child.
- His father, Surinder Kapoor, initially worked as Shammi Kapoor’s secretary.
- He was not able to clear the written examination of Pune Film Institute.
- Kapoor was the original choice for the role of a villain in the movie “Mashaal.” However, he ended up getting the lead in the movie; which proved to be a turning point of his life.
- His movie “Tezaab” (1988) was a commercial success and he was acclaimed highly for his performance in the film. What’s more surprising is that one of the scenes was shot a few days before the film released and added to the final cut just a day prior to the release.
- The role played by Anil in Mr India (1987) was first offered to Amitabh Bachchan.
- He is famous all over the globe for his signature word ‘Jhakaas!’
- He was trained for 7 months for a 3D fighting scene in his movie “Nayak-The Real Hero.” To Anil’s refusal for shaving his body hair during the shoot, a spontaneous plan was made to smudge him with mud. Also, Anil was quoted saying that the shoot of the mud scene was one of the most difficult shoots of his life as the “Multani Mitti,” which he used during the shoot, used to dry off every few minutes.
- Anil Kapoor is the only actor who worked in all the three parts of the movie “Race.”
- For the movie “Dil Dhakadne Do,” he was not allowed to reveal his look. Moreover, the hairstyle of his character in the movie took nearly 100 hours to design.
- He once compared himself with a bottle of French wine, which gets better and better with age.
- Anil Kapoor often boosts his confidence and encourages himself by watching himself in a mirror.
- Madame Tussaud’s in Singapore built his Wax Statue to commemorate his achievements and contributions to the cinema.
- He is Ranveer Singh‘s uncle, as his wife and Ranveer’s father are first cousins.
- Anil Kapoor kept his promise and left smoking when his daughter Sonam Kapoor started her career in Bollywood.
- Anil enjoys painting, gymming, and travelling.
- He starred with Madhuri Dixit after a gap of 19 years in the 2019-release “Total Dhamaal.”