Manish Malhotra is India’s one of the most successful and best-known Fashion Designers. There isn’t a dress that goes without his name, and there isn’t a celebrity he hasn’t dressed. The scissors and the cloth goes with his label. From glittering to glam, he has made it all.
Manish Malhotra was born on 5 December 1966 (age 52 years; as in 2018) in Westminster, London, UK. He spent his childhood in the suburbs of Mumbai, but he was keen on joining in the town. That is why he joined Elphinstone College. He did not receive any formal training in fashion designing but his passion for drawing and sketching, cinema and dresses took him into the world of costume designing. His Zodiac/Sun sign is Sagarrittus.
Height: 5′ 10″
Weight: 80 kg
Eye Color: Black
Hair Color: Black
Body Measurement: Chest 40″, Waist 32″, Biceps 13″
Family & Affairs
Not much is known about Manish’s family. He has a nephew named Punit Malhotra, who is the film director in Bollywood.
The news of Karan Johar’s relationship with Manish Malhotra has always been the lead. Rumours seemed to get true when Manish liked a comment posted on Birthday of Karan saying “You guys are the cutest couple.” Later, Manish snapped by replying that Karan was like his brother and it was ridiculous to talk like that.
He started his career as a model in Elphinstone College, in which he failed. He tried his luck by styling up for the costume of Juhi Chawla in a movie. The movie was Swarg.
His luck paid off when he got Filmfare Costume Award for styling Urmila Matondkar in Rangeela (1995).
Ever since then, his career hiked to peak and gave him the big name in the Fashion Industry. In 1998, he ventured his couture store, Reverie- Manish Malhotra, opening his market to the Indian Subcontinent and Indian Diaspora. He launched his couture label MANISH MALHOTRA in 2005.
- Costume Design for the movie Rangeela in 1995
- Elle Style Award for Stylish Designer Of The Year in 1999
- Indira Priyadarshini Memorial Award for his contribution to the fashion industry
- Felicitated by National Institute Of Fashion Technology
- International Film Festival Of India – Goa for Excellence Award
- Hindustan Times for Most Stylish – Delhi Season 6 in 2016
- Lycra MTV Style Awards for Celebrity Style in 2006
- FICCI- Speaker in 2014 for Changing facade of the fashion industry in India
Note: He has many other awards and honours to his name.
- Director: Feroz Abbas Khan
The controversy between Manish Malhotra and Anushka Sharma was a widely discussed one. Anushka chose all of her wedding garments by Sabhyasachi instead of Manish. Manish was not even visible in the reception ceremony of Anushka and Virat Kohli. It all started with the sets of “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil” and the wedding dress of the Anushka in the movie. She was upset about the dress and said that the dress gave her the feeling of the bride. Later, Manish laughed it off by saying that it was all a misconception.
- He is obsessed with Hindi Films since his childhood.
- Manish Malhotra drinks Alcohol.
- Manish grew up dreaming of becoming part of the fashion industry, choosing to give up on his family business to pursue a fashion career.
- Not only for Bollywood, but Manish has also worked for Hollywood stars like Demi Moore, Kylie Minogue, Karolina Kurkova, Kate Moss, and Naomi Campbell.
- He also designed clothes for Michael Jackson when he visited India for a Bollywood Show.
- He has collaborated with Google to launch the G Suite-an apps designed for modern professionals.
- He designed the jersey of IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders.
- Manish wishes to be a Film Director in the future.