Shreyas Santosh Iyer was born in a Tamil Brahmin Family on 6 December 1994 (Age: 24 years old, as in 2018) in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Since childhood, he was fond of playing cricket. Iyer received his primary education from Don Bosco High School, Mumbai. He pursued his graduation from Podar College in Mumbai.
When he was only 12 years old, he was noticed by coach, Pravin Amre at the Shivaji Park Gymkhana in Mumbai.
- Height: 178 cm or 5′ 10″
He was born to Santosh Iyer (Businessman) and Rohini Iyer (Home-maker). He has one sister.
In 2014, Iyer played for Trent Bridge Cricket Team of United Kingdom and scored 297 runs in three matches at an average of 99 with the highest score of 171. In November 2014, he made his List A debut for Mumbai Cricket team during the 2014–15 Vijay Hazare Trophy. He scored 273 runs in that tournament at an average of 54.60. During the 2014-15 Ranji Trophy, he made his first-class debut. In his debut season, he scored 809 runs and was the 7th highest scorer.
In February 2015, he was signed for the IPL and bought by Delhi Daredevils for 2.6 crores . On 9 April 2015, he made his IPL debut against Chennai Super Kings. For the 2018 IPL, he was made the captain of Delhi Daredevils replacing Gautam Gambhir. In March 2017, he made his inducted into India’s Test squad but did not play a single match. On 1 November 2017, Iyer made his T20 debut against New Zealand and on 10 December 2017, he made his ODI debut against Sri Lanka.
- 2015: IPL Emerging Player of the Year award
- 2016: S V Rajadyaksha trophy for making the highest number of runs in Ranji Trophy, CEAT Cricket Rating Indian Domestic Cricketer of the year award
- Food(s): Sambar, Rasam, Potato curry, Pappadum with rice, Pani Puri
- Cricketer: AB de Villiers
- Tennis Player: Roger Federer
- Footballer(s): Cristiano Ronaldo, Andrea Pirlo, Eden Hazard, Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- Song: “Tera Hone Laga Hoon” from the film ‘Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani’
- Restaurant: Bombay West Bridgford, Nottingham, UK
In the 2018 and 2019 IPL, he was sold for ₹7 crore.
- His early cricket journey was documented in the short film titled ‘Shreyas Iyer Documentary – A Father’s Dream.’
- Because of his aggressive batting style, he is often called as the ‘Young Viru’ i.e. Virender Sehwag.
- Iyer is an avid animal lover. He has pets at his home and takes care of the stray dogs around his home.
- ‘Superman’ is his favourite superhero.
- Iyer’s hobbies are watching and playing football, tennis, golf, swimming, etc.