Considering his wealth of knowledge and experience in the issues of life, warfare, and leadership, there is no doubt that these Genghis Khan’s quotes will be of immense help to you as you journey through life. Genghis Khan was the founder of The Mongol Empire, which is among the largest contiguous empire in the world, as well as the first emperor (Great Khan) of the dynasty.
Hailed as the King of Kings, Genghis Khan rose to power after he successfully united many nomadic tribes of Northeastern Asia. Thereafter, he conquered extensive areas of Eurasia during the Mongol invasions. He was the brain behind the collapse of a number of major dynasties and in achieving his victory over these communities, Genghis Khan stained his hands with the blood of a huge number of civilians. Thus, he earned a reputation for being a tyrant and was one of the most feared rulers in world history.
His reputation for mass killings notwithstanding, the vanquisher made a lot of political exploits which helped the economy of his people. He is also credited with spreading the idea of religious tolerance and meritocracy. A man’s personality and success secrets, most times, is better revealed by his words. Below are some of the great Genghis Khan’s quotes that you will find meaningful.
50 Notable Genghis Khan’s Quotes
1. With heaven’s aid, I have conquered for you a huge empire.
2. A man’s greatest joy is crushing his enemies.
3. If lies can show the truth, they can be the truth, they can cause the truth, so I may build an empire on lies, but they are the truth.
4. As for the clothes I wear and the food I eat, I shall have the same as cowherds and grooms and I shall treat my soldiers as brothers.
5. The strength of a wall is neither greater nor less than the courage of the men who defend it.
6. I look upon the nation as a new-born child and I care for my soldiers as though they were my brothers.
7. In the space of seven years, I have succeeded in accomplishing a great work and uniting the whole world in one Empire.
8. People conquered on different sides of the lake should be ruled on different sides of the lake.
9. [A leader] can never be happy until his people are happy.
10. Who can’t stop drinking may get drunken three times a month. If he does it more often, he is guilty.
11. Conquering the world on horseback is easy; it is dismounting and governing that is hard.
12. Not even a mighty warrior can brake a frail arrow when it is multiplied and supported by its fellows. As long as you brothers support one another and render assistance to one another, your enemies can never gain the victory over you. But if you fall away from each other your enemy can brake you like frail arrows, one at a time.
13. Perhaps my children will live in stone houses and walled towns – Not I.
14. All who surrender will be spared; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated.
15. Those who were adept and brave fellows I have made military commanders. Those who were quick and nimble I have made herders of horses. Those who were not adept I have given a small whip and sent to be shepherds.
16. Just as God gave different fingers to the hand so has He given different ways to men.
17. One of the joys of travel is visiting new towns and meeting new people.
18. I hate luxury. I exercise moderation…It will be easy to forget your vision and purpose once you have fine clothes, fast horses, and beautiful women. You will be no better than a slave, and you will surely lose everything
19. How can one withdraw? Even if we die, let us challenge their boasts. Eternal Heaven, you be the judge!
20. Remember, you have no companions but your shadow.
21. The pleasure and joy of man lie in treading down the rebel and conquering the enemy, in tearing him up by the root, in taking from him all that he has.
22. If you’re afraid, don’t do it; if you’re doing it, don’t be afraid!
23. Violence never settles anything.
“attachment_151333″ aria-describedby=”caption-attachment-151333″ style=”width: 640px” class=”wp-caption alignnone”>
24. Mother Earth is broad and her rivers and waters are numerous.
25. Despite all expectations, the time of my last campaign and of my passing is near.
26. An action committed in anger is an action doomed to failure.
27. I am from the Barbaric North. I wear the same clothing and eat the same food as the cowherds and horse-herders. We make the same sacrifices and we share our riches.
28. Make up your camps far apart and each of you, rule your own kingdom.
29. Every man has his use, even if only to gather dried cow dung in the Gobi for fuel.
30. One arrow alone can be easily broken but many arrows are indestructible.
31. When it was wet, we bore the wet together, when it was cold, we bore the cold together.
32. There is no value in anything until it is finished.
33. As my calling is high, the obligations incumbent upon me are also heavy; and I fear that in my ruling, there may be something wanting.
34. The merit in action lies in finishing it to the end.
35. I am the flail of God. Had you not created great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
36. Come and sip from the cup of destruction.
37. It is not sufficient that I succeed – all others must fail.
38. Without the vision of a goal, a man cannot manage his own life, much less the lives of others.
39. The greatest happiness is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters.
40. If my body dies, let my body die, but do not let my country die.
41. Let there be between us a firm treaty of friendship, amity, and peace, and let traders and caravans on both sides come and go.
42. Not even a mighty warrior can break a frail arrow when it is multiplied and supported by its fellows.
43. Be of one mind and one faith, that you may conquer your enemies and lead long and happy lives.
44. If unable to abstain from drinking, a man may get drunk three times a month; if he does it more than three times he is culpable; if he gets drunk twice a month it is better; if once a month, this is still more laudable; and if one does not drink at all what can be better? But where can I find such a man? If such a man were found he would be worthy of the highest esteem.
45. I wish to die at home. Let not my end disarm you, and on no account weep for me, lest the enemy be warned of my death.
46. Even when a friend does something you do not like, he continues to be your friend.
47. No friend is better than your own wise heart! Although there are many things you can rely on, no one is more reliable than yourself. Although many people can be your helper, no one should be closer to you than your own consciousness. Although there are many things you should cherish, no one is more valuable than your own life
48. If you insult the mother who gave you your life from her heart, if you cause her love for you to freeze up, even if you apologize to her later, the damage is done.
49. I leave you the greatest empire in the world, but your preserving it depends upon your remaining always united. If discord steals in among you, all will most assuredly be lost.
50. Oh people, know that you have committed great sins. If you ask me what proof I have for these words, I say it is because I am the punishment of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you!